The Center for Independent Journalism (CIJ) is a non-profit and non-political organization with the aim of promoting ethical, fact-based journalism and independent media in Hungary.
The Center for Independent Journalism works in Hungary and Europe. CIJ’s vision is that freedom of expression is an unquestionable basic right and journalism should freely be exercised and guaranteed by law and practice.
- To improve journalism skills and standards
- To influence and shape journalism curricula
- To strengthen the capacities of media professionals to defend their professional autonomy and labour rights
- To facilitate a dialogue between media professionals and policy-makers
- To improve media competences of vulnerable groups, especially the Roma
- To empower civil society organizations to use media
- To contribute to a legislative framework that allows journalism to be exercised freely
- To contribute to the international cooperation with partner organizations working for the same aims